Yoga for a Healthy Heart
The ancient practice of yoga has been the focus of a number of clinical studies and evidence shows that all those Surya-namaskars and Yogasanas do contribute to a healthier heart.
A few research proven benefits of Yoga are:
- Yoga promotes physical activity
- Yoga helps in managing stress levels
- Yoga helps in lowering your blood pressure
- Yoga decreases the incidence of irregular heart rhythms
- Yoga improves the aerobic capacity of the heart
- Yoga significantly improves mental health and quality of life
The American Heart Association (AHA) recommends at least 30 minutes of moderate-intensity aerobic activity at least five days per week for overall heart health, and moderate- to high-intensity muscle-strengthening activity at least two days per week for additional health benefits. The benefit of yoga here is a combination of improving physical fitness and stress reduction by reducing stress related inflammation, which is a primary cause of heart diseases.
One of the essential focuses of all styles of yoga is awareness of the breath and being more mindful. A healthy mind houses a healthy body, so don’t hesitate to take your first step today.