14 Home Remedies to Reduce Wisdom Tooth Pain
Wisdom teeth generally erupt between the ages of 17 and 25. Wisdom teeth commonly affect other teeth as they develop, becoming impacted. They are often extracted when this occurs. Wisdom teeth also can be impacted -- they are enclosed within the soft tissue and/or the jawbone or only partially break through or erupt through the gum. Partial eruption of the wisdom teeth allows an opening for bacteria to enter around the tooth and cause an infection, which results in pain, swelling, jaw stiffness, and general illness. Partially erupted teeth are also more prone to tooth decay and gum disease because their hard-to-reach location and awkward positioning makes brushing and flossing difficult. The problems with wisdom teeth don’t stop there. If wisdom teeth don’t end up breaking through the skin it can lead to other oral problems. Your permanent teeth may become crowded or displaced which leads to further problems down the road. Experts on oral health estimate that about 85% of people that get their wisdom teeth in will have to have them removed. Before you can get to the dentist and finally get your wisdom teeth taken out, it’s more than likely you’ll be in a lot of pain. Fortunately, there are quite a few natural, home remedies that will help immensely with wisdom tooth pain. There is no need to rush down to your local drug store for some over-the-counter tooth pain relief when you can take care of the pain naturally with things you’ve already got at home. If you’re suffering from wisdom tooth pain, try any of the several home remedies listed below for some quick relief. 14 Home Remedies for Wisdom Tooth Pain 1. Warm Salt Water Rinsing your mouth with warm salt water is one of the easiest and most effective ways to get rid of wisdom tooth pain. Take hot water and dissolve a few tablespoons of salt in it. When the salt water has cooled to a warm temperature, rinse your mouth with it for a few minutes and you will find noticeable relief. 2. Onion If you can stand the taste, onions are a great natural remedy for wisdom tooth pain. Simply take one onion, cut it in half, and place it on the inside of the cheek where the tooth is that hurts. Leave it in your mouth as long as you can stand occasionally biting down on it to extract the juice. Although it may leave a strong, bitter taste in your mouth, it will greatly relieve your tooth pain. 3. Clove Clove is one of the oldest remedies for tooth pain there is. Long used by different cultures around the globe for relieving tooth pain, clove can’t be beaten. You can use a whole clove or clove oil. If using the whole clove, simply take it and place it on your painful wisdom tooth. Don’t chew it or spit it out until your pain is completely gone. If you decide to use the oil instead, all you need to do is take a few drops and rub it directly onto your tooth and surrounding gums. You may use this method throughout the day to experience quick relief from uncomfortable wisdom tooth pain. 4. Ice Pack Using an ice pack on the side of your mouth that hurts because of emerging and irritated wisdom teeth is an easy way to relieve inflammation and pain. Try icing for 15 minutes on and 15 minutes off until the pain subsides. Use this method as many times you desire throughout the day for extended pain relief.
5. PeppermintA sore throat isn’t the only thing peppermint is good for. It actually is an excellent reliever of wisdom tooth pain and has a fresh aroma that goes right along with it. To use peppermint for wisdom tooth pain relief, you can do one of two things. The first is taking the fresh leaves and packing them onto the tooth that is giving you grief. Leave this pack on for at least 20 minutes and you should feel relief. You can also take a few drops of peppermint extract on a cotton swab and apply it directly to the tooth. Leave the cotton swab on your tooth for a few minutes and you’re bound to begin to feel relief from the awful pain that comes with pushing teeth through your delicate skin.
6. Baking Soda PasteUsing a baking soda paste will help reduce swelling of your troubled tooth and help reduce the pain. To use this easy home remedy for wisdom tooth pain, take a dab of your regular toothpaste, put it in a small bowl, and mix a bit of baking soda with it. Apply this paste directly to the tooth that’s hurting and you are sure to notice relief.
7. Wheat GrassWheatgrass is amazing for tooth pain and has been used by many people for quick relief. To use wheatgrass to get rid of the pain associated with emerging wisdom teeth simply swish an ounce of the juice in your mouth for a couple minutes. Using wheatgrass juice like a mouthwash will remove toxins from around the tooth and help take away the pain. You can also take the actual grass after it has been juiced and put it directly on the compacted tooth for extra relief. 8. Guava Leaves Nature truly gives you everything you need to heal the body effectively, and guava leaves are one of the most natural ways to quickly get rid of wisdom tooth pain. Take a handful of fresh guava leaves and boil them in water for a few minutes. Remove the boiled leaves from the water and chew on them for 30 seconds without swallowing them After 30 seconds spit the leaves out and you should notice a big difference in the pain you’re experiencing. You can also use the boiled guava leaf water with a pinch of salt added like a mouthwash, which will give you similar relief as well. 9. Apple Cider Vinegar Apple cider vinegar is amazing for countless at home remedies and for tooth pain, it can’t be beaten. To use this home remedy to get rid of wisdom tooth pain in a hurry, take a cotton ball and soak it with apple cider vinegar. Place the soaked cotton ball directly onto the tooth that is giving you trouble and let it sit for at least ten minutes. You’ll find that while this method doesn’t necessarily taste the best, it does wonders for quickly getting rid of that uncomfortable pain that comes with emerging wisdom teeth.
10. Black Pepper PowderAs long as we’re on the subject of remedies for tooth pain that will burn, introducing black pepper powder to your tooth will work great, but you will experience an uncomfortable burning sensation while it does its job. Take powdered black pepper and apply the powder directly to the tooth. Leave this on for only a few seconds, ignore the burning pain as much as you can, and you’ll find that once the burning sensation subsides your tooth will feel much better.
11. Black TeaA warm cup of black tea will provide the relief you need in a couple of ways. Not only will the warmth of the tea help to greatly reduce swelling, but the tea bag will draw out the pain. To use this easy home remedy for cutting out wisdom tooth pain quickly, simply brew a cup of black tea and sip it down to reduce uncomfortable symptoms of swelling. Next take the brewed tea bag and place it on your sore tooth. You’ll find this, with the combination of the warm tea will quickly take away tooth pain and leave you feeling much better.
12. GarlicEveryone knows how amazing garlic is for your health. The numerous antibiotic properties garlic contains are what make it so good for getting rid of tooth pain. Your emerging molars stand no chance against some crushed garlic put on top of them. To use this extremely effective method to get rid of wisdom tooth pain, crush up one clove of garlic and add a bit of sea salt to it. Place this directly on top of your painful tooth. Placing a whole peeled clove on your tooth and biting down on it is also a good idea. You can also make a paste from garlic powder and water if you don’t have any fresh garlic to use. Not only will it help with the pain but will draw out any viral infections while giving your immune system a boost at the same time.
13. Oil PullingOil pulling has been used in Ayurvedic medicine for years to treat disorders of the mouth including toothache, bleeding gums, and abscessed tooth and more. Oil pulling has been growing in popularity in the west as people begin to find the tremendous benefits it contains for mouth problems. To use this extremely effective remedy for wisdom tooth pain all you need is one tablespoon of sesame, coconut, or sunflower oil. Swish the oil inside your mouth for 15 minutes being sure not to swallow any of it in the process. Spit this out and then rinse your mouth with warm salt water. Do this process of oil pulling 3-4 times a day and your tooth will feel fine. Not just for tooth pain, oil pulling can be done daily for a clean and healthy mouth.
14. Ginger RootGinger root is a classic for relieving tooth pain, and when your wisdom teeth begin to cause you trouble ginger could be exactly what you need. To use this remedy for almost immediate relief, simply cut off a thin slice of ginger, remove the skin, and place this on your affected tooth. Bite down on it gently and continue to do so for about ten minutes. This method has been shown to work very quickly and can be done as often as needed. Simply keep your ginger in the refrigerator and cut off a slice whenever your pain gets worse. This is an all-natural method that works well and works every time. Getting your wisdom teeth is going to be an uncomfortable experience until they come in on their own or you get them pulled by a dentist. Relieving the pain that comes with their presence can be done easily with any of these all-natural home remedies. There’s no need to suffer through the pain of getting these teeth in when you can take it away naturally and effectively in the comfort of your own home. Try any of these recipes today for quick wisdom tooth pain relief the natural way. Download the Grow Fit app on Google Play or App Store today for a free consultation with our specialists.
- Tags: Health